Coconut and cacao bites
If there’s one thing I wish I could tell dieters it’s this: snacking is not a sin. Mindlessly grazing whilst drifting around the house all day (we’ve all done it), okay yes, that’s not fab. But eating between meals to keep hunger at bay and blood sugar levels steady.. no, that is just good sense. Little and often really is the way.
However, the problem is making sure that you snack on the right things. Whilst out and about it can be really difficult to find something healthy to keep you going, and its all too easy to resort to the convenience a sugary cereal bar or packet of crisps. I try to get round this by always carrying a pot of almonds or a banana in my bag (though you don’t want to leave said banana in there too long, things can get pretty manky I can tell you). However this can get a bit dull so to mix things up I have also started making up a batch of these delicious coconut and cacao bites at the start of each week, so every day I can pop a couple in my lunchbox to take to work with me. Its something to look forward to each day if nothing else, and they also double as a delicious post-lunch dessert!
This recipe is super simple and takes no time at all. The bites themselves are delicious, the combination of chocolate and coconut is just heavenly, especially when paired with crunchy pieces of almond. Dates are all that is used to sweeten the recipe. Many people avoid dates due to their relatively high sugar content, but they are such a great source of dietary fibre. In fact, they’re so fantastic for digestion that some studies have even proven them to effective in preventing abdominal cancer. The almonds and almond butter provide loads of plant protein to keep you feeling full. Coconut oil is full of healthy fats to keep you energized and glowing, and is also known as a big hunger killer, perfect snack material!
- 2 cups dates (soaked in hot water for a few minutes to soften)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 and a half cups desiccated coconut
- 6 tbsp almond butter (just under one 170g jar)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 and a half tbsp raw cacao powder
- In a food processor, blitz the almonds until a crumbly flour forms, then add 1 cup of the coconut and combine.
- Add the almond butter, coconut oil and cacao and blend briefly to roughly combine.
- Drain the dates and add half to the mixture, blend to combine, then add the other half and repeat.
- When everything is evenly combined, scoop the mixture out and shape into small bitesize ball shapes.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with more desiccated coconut, then roll each ball in it to get the coconut coating.
- Keep refrigerated and enjoy!